How to Choose Engineering Disciplines During B.E. / B.Tech Admissions?
Do you know the engineering disciplines that are available in undergraduate engineering courses? Do you have any idea on how to choose your branch of study during Engineering Admissions?
If you are planning to study B.E. / B.Tech after your 12th Standard (10+2 / 12th / HSC / PUC), you should know answers to these questions. Here are some tips to choose the engineering disciplines during your Engineering Admissions:
Your interest is the key factor in determining your success in any engineering discipline. Before choosing your branch of study, think over, if it is really your favourite subject and you will be capable of doing it with utmost success.
Enquire if your optional discipline is available with all facilities in the college you are planning to apply for. Because, your optional branch might be added newly in some colleges. Sometimes, such new branches may lack proper lab facilities.
Scope of the Engineering Disciplines
- Check whether your optional discipline has good job opportunities in the future.
- In case you wish to do higher studies after your graduation, explore the related specializations that are available in reputed institutions, the scope in the job market, research opportunities etc,.
- Students that plan to do higher studies or work abroad, may explore on future opportunities available overseas.
Engineering Branches in B.E / B.Tech Courses
In general, the following disciplines are available in majority of the engineering colleges in India:
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
In addition to the above list, some of the following branches will be available in some engineering colleges in India:
- Chemical Engineering
- Information Technology
- Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering
- Instrumentation and Control Engineering
- Computer and Communication Engineering
- Production Engineering
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Mechanical and Automation Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering (Sandwich)
- Industrial Engineering
- Industrial Engineering and Management
- Robotics and Automation Engineering
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Automobile Engineering
- Industrial Bio-Technology
- Biomedical Engineering
- Medical Electronics
- Material Science and Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Textile Technology
- Handloom and Textile Technology
- Agricultural Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Geo Informatics Engineering
- Polymer Technology
- Rubber and Plastic Technology
- Leather Technology
- Printing Technology
- Fashion Technology
- Mining Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Chemical and Electrochemical Engineering
- Petrochemical Technology
- Pharmaceutical Technology
- Food Technology
The number of courses are not limited to the above list. There may be more. The above list is given only to give an idea on the engineering courses offered, in general.
The duration of B.E / B.Tech courses is 4 years, whereas B.Arch is a 5-year course on Archtecture.
Refer to the following links, for more details on the list of engineering colleges and branches available in India: